Majlis Bandaraya Pasir Gudang (MBPG) or Pasir Gudang City Council was established on 1 July 2008 under section 3 of the local Government Act, 1976 (Act 171). The area of the administration of MBPG is 311 square kilometres (31,132 hectares) and includes Mukim Sungai Tiram and part of Mukim Plentong.
In 2016, MBPG received 2 new areas, namely Bandar Seri Alam and part of Taman Rinting (covering 4,825 hectares) bringing the overall area under MBPG’s jurisdiction to 35,957 hectares.
Mission of Pasir Gudang City Council (MBPG)
MBPG will use the LCC 2030 challenge as a benchmark to enable the relevant stakeholders and agencies to carry out the development of the city whilst reducing GHG emissions. The mission of MBPG is to ensure that the planning, monitoring, and implementation is done in a fast, efficient, and effective manner which produces the best quality results for the city.
LCC 2030 Challenge – 2020 Assessment
LC Zon 1 Pasir Gudang
For LCC 2030 Challenge assessment period of 2020, MBPG achieved carbon emissions savings of 6,689.77 tonnes of CO2, equivalent to a reduction of 3.45% from the baseline.
MBPG’s Objectives for the LCC 2030 Challenge
The following are the five objectives that MBPG have set for themselves:
- To collect and analyse the data points as a benchmark for the LCCF project areas.
- Identifying the “Project Based” LCCF needs based on the diverse topography, economic needs of the area, and infrastructure needs.
- Pinpointing the key recommendations and strategies based on the LCCF.
- Implementing the Carbon Calculator (LCCF Track) to measure the city’s performance in reducing GHG emissions
- Identifying deficiencies in the current system so that actions can be taken to achieve the city’s low carbon targets
Pasir Gudang LCC 2025 Commitments
To achieve their aspirations of becoming a Low Carbon City by 2025, MBPG has earmarked three key areas that require special attention:
- Improve overall quality of life of MBPG residents
- Promote a green lifestyle among inhabitants
- Form a community who adopts green practices
- Increase the number of certified green industries under the MBPG jurisdiction
- Attract more investment for green technologies
- Overall reduction of GHG emissions within the city limits
- Reducing pollution and improving the air quality
- Reducing the amount of solid waste through recycling of goods, used cooking oil and 5Rs.
MBPG Best Practices towards a Low Carbon Future
Waste Composting Programme in Pasir Gudang
This programme focuses on food waste composting that has been carried out by the Sanitation Section of Public Health Department, MBPG. They currently have 4 compost centres in operation. Fallen dry leaves and twigs are collected and processed to be used as compost for agricultural use.
Multi-Stakeholder Engagement in Neighbourhood Garden Initiative
The initiative was inspired by the Chief Minister of Johor’s wishes in 2016 to create a neighbourhood project to coordinate and unite the diverse races in the community. The community nurtures the farms and have participated in tree planting exercises throughout the city.
Rainwater Harvesting System (SPAH) in Pasir Gudang, Malaysia
SPAH has been implemented in Pasir Gudang as part of the prerequisites for building plan approvals. A retrofitting process for the installation of SPAH is done on several types of buildings including institutions, commercial, industrial, and government buildings.
Awards & Accolades
MBPG has won numerous achievements for their environmental practices. They were awarded the following:
- Diamond LCCF Recognition – International Greentech & Eco Product Exhibition & Conference Malaysia (IGEM) 2019
- Sustainable City Award – World City Designer Day 2019
- 3rd Place @ National Community Landscape Award – National Landscape Day 2019
- Bronze Award Regional Government – Green World Awards 2019
- Green Apple Award for Best Practices – Green Organization
 iGEM 2020 – Virtual Microsite – https://virtual.igem.my/virtual/exhibition-hall/
 LCC2030C Audit Report
 Dokumen Pelan Tindakan Perlaksanaan LCCF Bandar Karbon Rendah – Majlis Perbandaran Psair Gudang 2020 [pg 2]
 Dokumen Pelan Tindakan Perlaksanaan LCCF Bandar Karbon Rendah – Majlis Perbandaran Psair Gudang 2020 [pg 3]
 Dokumen Pelan Tindakan Perlaksanaan LCCF Bandar Karbon Rendah – Majlis Perbandaran Psair Gudang 2020 [pg 72-75]
 Dokumen Pelan Tindakan Perlaksanaan LCCF Bandar Karbon Rendah – Majlis Perbandaran Psair Gudang 2020 [pg 90]
 Dokumen Pelan Tindakan Perlaksanaan LCCF Bandar Karbon Rendah – Majlis Perbandaran Psair Gudang 2020 [pg 62-67]
 Dokumen Pelan Tindakan Perlaksanaan LCCF Bandar Karbon Rendah – Majlis Perbandaran Psair Gudang 2020 [pg 91-100]