Malaysia as part of Non-Annex I party is commited to submit their National Communication every four years and Biennial Update Report (BUR) every two years to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). The submission of the reports are accordance to Decision 17/CP.8 and Decision 2/CP.17. This report provides updates on Malaysia’s progress towards its commitments under the UNFCCC. In other words, it is vital to assess whether our country is effectively reduce the GHG emissions to fulfill our pledge in reducing the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions intensity of GDP by 45% by 2030 relative to the emissions intensity of GDP in 2005. This commitment is based on 35% on unconditional basis and a further 10% is conditional upon receipt of climate finance, technology transfer and capacity building from developed countries.
Recently, Malaysia has submitted the Third National Communication & Second BUR to the UNFCCC on 27 September 2018. The Second BUR is a simplified vesion of the Third National Communication which consists information of national greenhouse gas inventory and mitigation actions implemented in Malaysia. A quick overview of the reports are as follows:
THIRD NATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS
- Chapter 1: National Circumstances provide insights related to climate change
- Chapter 2:National GHG Inventory provides latest 2014 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and time series of GHG emissions from 1990 to 2014 for each of these sectors
- Chapter 3: Mitigation Assessment provides summary of national’s polices, plans and programmes to drive mitigation strategies as well as model projections of GHG emissions on possible mitigation pathways to achieve the Paris Agreement target.
- Chapter 4: Vulnerability and adaptation (V&A) assessment conducted for 6 sectors/areas – water and coastal resources; food security and agriculture; forestry and biodiversity; infrastructure; energy; and public health based on the impacts of temperature increase, projected floods and dry spells and sea level rise.
- Chapter 5: Research and Systematic Observation
- Chapter 6: Capacity-Building, Education, Public Awareness, Information and Networking
- Chapter 7: Constraints, Gaps, Level of Support Received and Needs
SECOND BIENNIAL UPDATE REPORT
- Chapter 1: National Circumstances (summary from the Third National Communication)
- Chapter 2: National Greenhouse Gas Inventory (summary from the Third National Communication)
- Chapter 3: Mitigation Actions and Their Effects provides the list of mitigation actions by programmes with information on emission reductions achieved in 2014 and 2015 and potential emission reductions for 2020, 2025 and 2030
- Chapter 4: Level of Support Received, Constraints, Gaps and Needs
You can download a copy of the report here: Malaysia’s NC3 & BUR2 Final Report
In the upcoming articles, we will explore each chapter in more detail.